Sunday, April 17, 2011

Picasso. The Dog. In One Line.




This is a copy of Picasso's famous drawing, The Dog (Le Chien). Not copy as in copy-paste, but as in a re-drawing of someone else's drawing, by hand, i.e. it's my original artwork. And you can try it too.
Smooth curve

I made it with the Pages' Draw Tool (pen) in one continuous line, beginning with the front paw and ending with the muzzle. I then added a picture frame (one of the jagged lines) to the image.

There are several tricks here involving curving the line. To see other articles on this technique search the curving lines in iWork Pages label (click on the label at the bottom of this post).

In this example one trick is crucial: changing the line from smooth curve to pointed angle. It comes in handy when you need to angle the line under the tail of the dog (the angle points inside the shape) and around the nose of the dog (the angle points outside the shape).

Here is how to do it:  

Nose: to change the smooth curve into the pointed angle select the editing point. Click on it to turn the red dot into the white circle with the red outline. Then double click on it – the rounded curve turns into the angle.
Pointed angle

Tail: in Pages when you make a Shape editable and its outline Smooth (Format>Shape>Make Editable and >Smooth Path) each editing point gets 'propellers' when selected. These are for changing the curve of the line. By default propellers point in opposite directions as in the Smooth curve pictures. When you drag one, the other also moves. To make the angled curve pointing inside under the dog's tail you need to move 'propellers' independently from one another. To do this press Command while dragging – that allows you to create an angled curve!
Smooth curve

Lump the Dachshund befriended Pablo Picasso and became his muse for years. The artist put him in many of his works. It's a touching story described in the book by David Douglas Duncan Picasso & Lump: A Dachshund's Odyssey".

I couldn't find a copyright-free image of Picasso's drawing, but you can see it, for instance here  and a photo of the great man himself with Lump here.

See also my copies of Picasso's Femme here and here.   


Read more in my new book 'iWork for Mac OSX Cookbook
Pointed angle

Follow me on Twitter at iworkinpages  
Like my page I Work in Pages on Facebook 
and 
add me to your circles on Google+ 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. I have a new MacBook and decided I don't want to load it with a bunch of apps, and am trying to do everything with Pages.

    Thanks for the tips on using the Bezier pen. I tried to make the jagged line, but was not successful, can you include any helpful hints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, hi,

    I've just published another post with a few tips. See if it helps.

    Thanks for commenting.

    http://i-work-in-pages.blogspot.com/2011/04/dog-from-smooth-to-wire-haired-changing.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:53 am

    Hi Alexander! I have a question. If I recreate this dachshund, could I use it as part of my blog image? Or due to copyrights I wouldn't be able to use it?
    thanks,
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see why not. Change it slightly, keep your original work (drafts) and write a note saying something like 'inspired by Picasso'.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

© 2006-2010, 2010-2017 Alexander Anichkin, All Rights Reserved.
All content is original and was created by me, the author and publisher of I Work in Pages.
Quotations and images are attributed where applicable.
No republication without express prior permission.
Blog template by Blogger with customisation by the publisher.